Do you ever wonder why swimming pools are such an important part of our lives? In thinking about all the reasons I hear for owning pools, there are 7 that seem to always come up.
The Ugly Pool Guy’s Top 7 Reasons for Owning a Swimming Pool in Arizona
1. TAKE A STAY-CATION: Instead of ‘sheltering in place’, how about vacationing in place? If you weren’t spending so much on traveling, think of what you could do around your home with the same investment. In addition to the savings in travel expenses, think of how much more time you’ll have to spend with your family. With the money that you’ll save, you might want to consider a backyard pool for some real quality family time. With all the distractions of modern life pulling at family members, it can be tough just to find time together. A backyard pool can change that immediately, the kids just won’t want to leave! No more worrying about what your kids are doing at someone else’s house. Swimming pools are a wonderful incentive for children, and their friends, to stay home (your home) versus going other places. Trust me when I say it’s comforting to watch your children relate to their friends as they grow from little kids to young adults. Create the place you want your kids to be… with THEIR FRIENDS! A backyard pool is truly a memory maker.
2. FITNESS: The fitness benefits of owning your own pool are plain to see. From the time the kids wake up till bedtime, they’re in the pool all summer. Even if you’re not into water aerobics, the kids can surely benefit physically from all the activity they will take part in. My youngest daughter, Klaire, will spend, literally, hours and hours in the pool swimming, diving, running and laughing. Every summer, my children undergo a physical transformation from the end of spring to the end of summer. This is because they’ve usually gained a little bit of extra weight due to being inside so much during the winter and then they find themselves playing in the pool 3 – 5 hours a day once the summer is in full effect. Instead of being bored and looking for a snack in the pantry, they instead turn their focus to creating new and exciting games and activities in the pool. And the beauty is that EVERY activity they do in the pool involves exercise of some shape or form.
3. STRESS RELIEF: We work hard. In fact, in some cases, too hard. One of the best reasons to build a swimming pool and complete backyard is the ability to escape. Being in and around water is one of the most natural stress relievers out there. There is something serene in being at “home” and watching your family benefit from your years of labor, otherwise, what is it for? And if you’re having trouble getting the kids to go to bed on time, nothing will exhaust them faster than a day in the sun and water.
4. CHURCH/GROUP/ COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES: This benefit isn’t necessarily for everyone, but it’s one that many families embrace. Many families host church and youth group activities in their backyards that lead to wonderful experiences and stronger relationships with others. I am a believer that pools bring people closer and that those relationships and memories can, and will, last a lifetime.
5. AQUATIC THERAPY: Aquatic therapy can be one of the best reasons of all to build a pool. In fact, swimming pools have enriched the lives of those with such major health issues as arthritis, cerebral palsy and fibromyalgia as well as other illnesses, not to mention recuperation from major surgery. I know a Mesa Police Officer (motor unit) that was involved in a traffic incident who credits his recovery to aquatic therapy, saying without it, the time would have been longer with more pains.
6. THE GRANDCHILDREN: As a major segment of society grows older, we have to look to the second life of these pools and what we can do to start enjoying them all over again. Bring in the wonderful grandchildren. When it comes to giving the grandkids a reason to go to Grandma and Grandpa’s house, nothing adds quite the incentive as a truly awesome swimming pool! In fact, during our many years in the pool business, I can list hundreds of pools installed, and even more renovated, specifically for this purpose. And let me assure you the incentive works (sometimes) all too well!
7. HOME VALUE: Probably the number one reason for building or renovating a pool – The National Association of Realtors recently came out with an article discussing the fact that in-ground pools increase the value of homes on average 5%. There are three types of home buyers:
#1) Those who want a pool
#2) Those who don’t want a pool
#3) Those who can take a pool or not
Bottom line, a pool and landscaped backyard is the final piece of “value” when selling your home. No matter which of the three listed above comes to look at your home to buy, if you have it all, especially a comforting backyard, you may find that even a person who argued against a pool will succumb to the allure.
Ready to start your journey to health and happiness?
Remember, the ONLY thing that should be UGLY in your Backyard…Is the Pool Guy! Call us today!